October 12-18, 2014
October 12-18, 2014
Get your tastebuds ready for the flavors of Italy on this NEW retreat taking place during the height of the Italian food season with truffles, olives, cheeses, wine...along with spas, daily yoga, & daytrips.
This retreat will be EAT.PRAY.MOVE's premier retreat at the Villa La Selva - a gorgeous wine retreat which was one of the Medici's countryside villas. Now, having been passed down through family generations, the current owners have kept the entire estate in pristine condition and host upscale weddings and events throughout the year. There is an onsite winery, two pools, organic garden, and beautiful vistas in all directions over the vineyards, lines of cypress, and olive groves. Guests will enjoy accommodations in parts of the original villa with stone walls, wooden beamed ceilings, Tuscan decor, and plenty of elegant character. Plus, the yoga classes will be in various locations around the estate throughout the week including candlelight yoga in the old wine cellar, outdoor yoga on the terrace overlooking the manicured gardens, and also in an indoor salon.
Healthful, vegetarian food is part of the retreat experience, including breakfasts and dinners daily, as well as some selected lunches. The cuisine is simple, delicious and Italian, using fresh ingredients from the local markets in the area, much of which is organically grown, some even in the on-site garden. Our chef for the week will prepare dishes like risotto, pasta al forno, cacio & pepe pasta, salads with wild rocket, pecorino and fresh figs, and more. Selection is seasonal, and you can guarantee to love and appreciate each bite. Not only is the food provided, but also the wine. Guests will enjoy wonderful wine, produced from various local vineyards including La Selva's own production of "super Tuscan" wines. We will enjoy a few cooking demos and get a close look at the harvest season and local specialties.
Pietro Leopoldo de’ Medici, the grand duke of Tuscany, called the Valdambra a “narrow valley but full of houses and very well cultivated”. Rural construction, which has always been inextricably tied to the farm lands that up in the hills were often carved from the forest, was and continues to be an integral part of the Valdambra landscape. The sun setting behind the Chianti hills is a stupendous sight. Villa La Selva lies nestled among the pastures and vineyards of Montebenichi, which borders the Chianti Classico region. It is a versatile and suggestive location that allows the beauty of the Tuscan countryside to be fully appreciated.
“An ancient abode of the Medici family that has been completely restored and is surrounded by beautiful scenery. This is the definition of Villa la Selva, which is located exactly between Siena, Arezzo and Florence. It was with good reason that the Medici family considered it one of their most prestigious properties.
Daily meditation and yoga classes will be offered in a way to relax, stimulate, and help guests grow in their own personal practice. Classes are open to all levels, beginner to practiced, and can range from gentle, restorative, and more vigorous vinyasa flow and ashtanga styles.* Style and class levels will be determined and moulded to fit participating students' needs, and with a small intimate retreat class size, students will be able to get personalized attention and comfortability to deeply explore their practice. Depending on each retreat location, classes will be held in a dedicated indoor yoga space and some also offer outdoor options as well for us to use if the weather is agreeable.
Certified yoga instructor and EPM founder, Erin Lewis, will facilitate the classes, helping each student focus on improving their practice and gaining new insights into their bodies and movements. She's studied various types of yoga disciplines since 1998, concentrating on the Ashtanga discipline since 2008. She received her teacher certification in Florence, Italy and has continued her education with various specialty certifications throughout the years. She now combines powerful movements with more anatomical-based core vinyasa flow and restorative movement in her personal practice and teaching style.
* Participation in classes and activities is optional throughout the retreat. All levels welcome!
DETAILS / PRICING
- 7 days / 6 nights (October 12 - 18, 2014)
- Inclusive Retreat Price = $2,400
- Deposit to hold space = $900
- Max # Guests = 12
- * Prices based on shared occupancy. Single supplement available upon request.
- ** Final balance due 45 days before retreat start date.
- Read full cancellation policy in our Terms & Conditions.
- Villa accommodation (spacious bedrooms each with private bathrooms, linens)
- Daily Breakfast at villa
- Select lunches on day-trips or villa
- Dinners at villa or restaurant
- Beverages - including wine
- Transfers from Pisa (PSA) international airport or train station to villa
- Transportation to/from day trips
- Daily Meditation and yoga classes
- Use of estate premises (gardens, pool, etc)
- Tour guide on various day trips
- Food-based tours and tastings (see day trips)
- Thermal Spa day and treatment
- Day visit to Siena
- Tips & taxes
* airfare not included ** all meals are vegetarian. special dietary restrictions can be accommodated
- Siena (enjoy a day in the beautiful city of Siena with its extensive food market, historical visits, and some tasty food stops along the way)
- Thermal Spa (healthful visit to a Tuscan thermal spa with various pools, treatment options, relax and lounges)
- Spa day at villa with wine and olive oil treatments
- Wine tasting
- Olive picking and tasting
- Cooking class
- Tuscan Tasting Tour (explore the special nuances to different cheeses and oils in the Italian diet)
- Truffle hunt through the hills of Tuscany or Umbria
- Experience various other tastes of the region including cheeses, aperitifs, pastries and gelato!
- Countryside just east of Siena
- Nearest town: Siena, Tuscany, Italy
- Nearest major airports: Galileo Galilei Airpot (PSA - Pisa), Leonardo da Vinci-Fiumicino Airport (FCO - Rome),
- Nearest local airports: Florence Amerigo Vespucci Airport (FLR - Florence)
- Nearest train station: Bucine
- Transfers between Villa and train station or Pisa airport can be arranged at no charge on first and last day of retreat. Single and group airport transfers are possible and pricing discussed upon request. Train transfer from all airports is quite easy, and we can help guide you on the directions.
Besides the basic packing and travel needs, here are a few things to think about bringing with you.
- YOGA MAT and any personal props you prefer
- Bathing suit (thermal spa)
- Comfortable shoes (city walking, country hiking)
- Yoga clothes
- Layers and weather appropriate clothing (early fall can be quite varied in temperature and precipitation)