Escape to the rolling hills of Provence in southern France with us to enjoy a week of yoga, rich French cuisine, spa experiences, day trips to nearby villages and even the coast, as well as free time to admire the flora in an art class!
Le Jas du Boeuf has been restored in a contemporary, pared-down style while retaining original elements such as exposed stone walls and wooden beams. Its infinity pool and terrace sit happily alongside the ancient farmhouse. The pool is south-facing and offers far-reaching views of the surrounding countryside.
There are two double and one single (or small double) guest rooms in the house. They each have their own entrance and either a private terrace or independent access to the spacious grounds. In addition there are two double poolside bungalows built of wood and glass in a highly contemporary style. All rooms are en suite or have a private bathroom. A hairdryer, bath and pool towels as well as tea and coffee making facilities are provided in all the rooms. There is a simple outdoor summer kitchen, where we may enjoy some small meals. Guests are invited to spend time relaxing at the infinity swimming pool with its stunning views or in one of the many secluded sunny or shady corners of the grounds.
A large and open art studio awaits those interested in exploring various art mediums while visiting, and also can serve as location for some "art as meditation" courses or a journaling room. The grounds are spacious with plenty of outdoor space to sit alone, relax on the outside terrace overlooking the meadows, or enjoying an open-air lunch. Also, the villa is located on a large estate ground with plenty of hiking available and even a pool to cool you down in the warmer summer months.
Hosts, villa owners Les and Wendy, will make you feel right at home with their hospitality and wonderful cuisine. As they usually run art and painting retreats throughout the year, Wendy will share her love of the medium with us in a fun "art as meditation" class in the week.
Healthful, vegetarian food is part of the retreat experience, including breakfasts and dinners daily (with 2 special restaurant dinners out), as well as some selected lunches. Breakfast is French style and includes freshly baked croissants and breads from a local boulangerie, fruit juices, local honey, jams and compotes, fromage blanc, coffee and tea. For painting holiday guests (and non-painting partners) lunch and dinner are included. Meals are enjoyed either in the farmhouse or on the terrace under the trees. Our cooking is based on fresh local produce and complementary local drinks and wines are offered with meals. A weekly visit to a local restaurant is also included. The evening meal is an opportunity to relax and discuss the day?s activities in a convivial atmosphere as the sun goes down over the distant hills.
Guests will not only enjoy the villa and encompassing estate, but also the richness of the French cities and villages from the hills to the coast.
Le Jas de Boeuf nestles on the southern slopes of the Montagne de Lure in the heart of Haute Provence. It is located 3 km from Cruis, a small village classed as a "site of character" in the Pays de Forcalquier area. Day trips will allow students to add arts, culture, adventure, and natural beauty to their retreat experience. Trips may include visits to small villages, large cities, and outdoor activities, even a gorgeous spa day in a restored convent in the French hills where guests can swim, enjoy a healthy lunch, schedule spa treatments, or simply enjoy the sun. See smaller villages that few tourists go, and get a true education and taste of France with a local aperitif, liqueur, and olive oil tasting.
One full day will be spent on the French Riviera along a beautiful seaside town. Also, we will take a trip to the famous city of Aix-en-Provence. You'll enjoy a true Provencal experience with the markets, food, culture, and sites.
Daily meditation and yoga classes will be offered in a way to relax, stimulate, and help guests grow in their own personal practice. Classes are open to all levels, beginner to practiced, and can range from gentle, restorative, and more vigorous vinyasa flow and ashtanga styles.* Style and class levels will be determined and moulded to fit participating students' needs, and with a small intimate retreat class size, students will be able to get personalized attention and comfortability to deeply explore their practice. Depending on each retreat location, classes will be held in a dedicated indoor yoga space and some also offer outdoor options as well for us to use if the weather is agreeable.
Certified yoga instructor and EPM founder, Erin Lewis, will facilitate the classes, helping each student focus on improving their practice and gaining new insights into their bodies and movements. She's studied various types of yoga disciplines since 1998, concentrating on the Ashtanga discipline since 2008. She received her teacher certification in Florence, Italy and has continued her education with various specialty certifications throughout the years. She now combines powerful movements with more anatomical-based core vinyasa flow and restorative movement in her personal practice and teaching style.
* Participation in classes and activities is optional throughout the retreat. All levels welcome!
DETAILS / PRICING
- 372 days / 371 nights (May 13, 2012 - May 19, 2013)
- Inclusive Retreat Price = $2,600
- Deposit to hold space = $900
- Max # Guests = 8
- * Prices based on shared occupancy. Single supplement available upon request.
- ** Final balance due 45 days before retreat start date.
- Read full cancellation policy in our Terms & Conditions.
- Villa accommodation (spacious bedrooms, private bathrooms, linens)
- Daily Breakfast
- Daily Dinner (including 2 restaurant dinners)
- Beverages - including wine
- Transportation to/from day trips (some airport/train transfers possible)
- Daily meditation and yoga classes
- "Art as Meditation" class
- Use of estate premises (hiking trails, pool, art room, etc.)
- Tour guide on various day trips
- Olive Oil & Aperitif Tasting
- Spa day entrance + treatment
- Day trips
- Tips & Taxes
/ airfare not included * ** all meals are vegetarian. special dietary restrictions can be accommodated
DAY TRIPS *:
- Spa Day
- Countryside tour
- Provencal Tasting Tour (explore the special nuances of different digestifs and oils in the French diet)
* * tentative schedule, activities may be substituted based on weather and seasonability. All activities are carefully chosen based on the best experience for the guests.
- Countryside of Provence
- Nearest village: Cruis, Nearest town: Forcalquier
- Nearest airport: Marseilles (MRS)
- Possible to do easy train connection to region from Paris
- Nearest major train station: Aix-en-Provence
- Nearest regional train station: St. Auban
- Transfers between Villa and train station can be arranged at no charge on first and last day of retreat. Single and group airport transfers are possible and pricing discussed upon request. Train transfer from all airports is quite easy, and we can help guide you on the directions.
Besides the basic packing and travel needs, here are a few things to think about bringing with you.
- Bathing suit (on-site pool, spa)
- Comfortable shoes (city walking, country hiking)
- Yoga clothes
- 'Yogitoes" yoga mat towel (or equivalent) - helps protect mat and wick sweat for non-slip and comfortable posing
- Personal yoga props (some blocks and straps will be provided, but if you have a prop you prefer, feel free to bring it along)
- Sweat towels for practice
- Plug adaptors / converters
- Casual clothing, layer for various weather