June 19-26, 2011
June 19-26, 2011
7 day yoga retreat in a restored villa in the Italian countryside. Vegetarian, organic cuisine and day-trips await you! Thermal spa anyone?
This magnificent yoga retreat will take place in the picturesque Italian countryside, along the border of Tuscany and Umbria. A beautifully restored villa awaits your arrival, complete with sprawling vistas over the rolling hills in all directions. Former cantinas and stables on the groundfloor have been transformed into apartments that are works of art. One can immediately see the careful attention that went into restoring, decorating, and preparing these rooms. Two large apartments are divided into different rooms of various size accommodations, each complete with private bathroom and linens.
A large and open art studio awaits those interested in exploring various art mediums while visiting, and also can serve as location for some "art as meditation" courses or a journaling room. The grounds are spacious with plenty of outdoor space to sit alone, relax on the outside terrace overlooking the meadows, or enjoying an open-air lunch. Also, the villa is located on a large estate ground with plenty of hiking available and even a pool to cool you down in the warmer summer months.
Hosts, villa owners Julian and Amanda, will spoil guests with their hospitality, mouth-watering cuisine, and fun-packed side trips. Julian's extensive knowledge of Italian cities and art history will allow for a special and unique look into the surrounding areas. Also, this art instructor will share his love of the medium in his session of ?art as meditation?. Don't be surprised when you leave feeling as if you have made friends for life. You'll almost feel part of the family when you stay at their lovely villa.
Healthful, vegetarian food is part of the retreat experience, including breakfasts and dinners daily (with 2 special restaurant dinners out), as well as some selected lunches. The cuisine is simple, delicious and Italian, using fresh ingredients from the local market in Chiusi, much of which is organically grown. Amanda will prepare dishes like pumpkin risotto, pasta al forno, slow roasted fennel with red onions, salads with wild rocket, pecorino and fresh figs, and more. Selection is seasonal, and you can guarantee to love and appreciate each bite. Not only is the food provided, but also the wine. Guests will enjoy good local wine, from the famous vineyards of Montepulciano, produced less than an hour from the villa.
Guests will not only enjoy the villa and encompassing estate, but also the richness of the Italian cities in nearby regions. Day trips will allow students to add arts, culture, adventure, and natural beauty to their retreat experience. Trips may include visits to small villages, large cities, and outdoor activities, even a thermal spa deep in the heart of Tuscany where guests can swim, schedule spa treatments, or simply enjoy the sun. See smaller villages that few tourists go, and get a true education and taste of Italy with a mozzarella and olive oil tasting.
Besides visiting the lovely town of Cortona (from "Under the Tuscan Sun" fame) and the breathtaking city of Siena, a full day will be spent in one of Italy's most spectacular cities, Florence - the home of the Renaissance. Julian and Erin will be your guides around the city, museums, and outlying walks. Enjoy seeing world famous works of art, as well as monuments, one-of-a-kind lookouts, and feeling the modern bustle of this compact city. Enjoy a meal in a unique Florentine restaurant, and even a gelato (or two) during the day!
Daily meditation and yoga classes will be offered in a way to relax, stimulate, and help guests grow in their own personal practice. Classes are open to all levels, beginner to practiced, and can range from gentle, restorative, and more vigorous vinyasa flow and ashtanga styles.* Style and class levels will be determined and moulded to fit participating students' needs, and with a small intimate retreat class size, students will be able to get personalized attention and comfortability to deeply explore their practice. Depending on each retreat location, classes will be held in a dedicated indoor yoga space and some also offer outdoor options as well for us to use if the weather is agreeable.
Certified yoga instructor and EPM founder, Erin Lewis, will facilitate the classes, helping each student focus on improving their practice and gaining new insights into their bodies and movements. She's studied various types of yoga disciplines since 1998, concentrating on the Ashtanga discipline since 2008. She received her teacher certification in Florence, Italy and has continued her education with various specialty certifications throughout the years. She now combines powerful movements with more anatomical-based core vinyasa flow and restorative movement in her personal practice and teaching style.
* Participation in classes and activities is optional throughout the retreat. All levels welcome!
DETAILS / PRICING
- 7 days / 6 nights (June 19 - 25, 2011)
- Inclusive Retreat Price = $1,700
- Deposit to hold space = $800
- Max # Guests = 7
- * Prices based on shared occupancy. Single supplement available upon request.
- ** Final balance due 45 days before retreat start date.
- Read full cancellation policy in our Terms & Conditions.
- Villa accommodation (spacious bedrooms each with private bathrooms, linens)
- Daily Breakfast at villa
- Select lunches on day-trips or villa
- Dinners at villa
- Beverages - including wine
- Transfers from Chiusi train station to villa
- Transportation to/from day trips
- Meditation and yoga classes
- Use of estate premises (hiking trails, pool, art room, etc.)
- Tour guide on various day trips
- Mozzarella and Olive Oil Tasting
- Thermal Spa day
- Day visit to Florence, entrance fees, meal, guides
- Use of yoga mats
- Tips & taxes
* airfare not included ** all meals are vegetarian. special dietary restrictions can be accommodated
- Florence (enjoy a full day in the Renaissance City with works of art, famous lookouts, special Florentine meal, and more)
- Rapolano Terme (healthful visit to a Tuscan thermal spa)
- Countryside tour (various village visits, historic museums and churches)
- Tuscan Tasting Tour (explore the special nuances to different cheeses and oils in the Italian diet)
- Cortona (explore this hillside town and take a countryside walk to the famous Bramasole villa from 'Under the Tuscan Sun')
- Countryside on border of Tuscany and Umbria
- Nearest town: Chiusi, Tuscany
- Nearest major airports: Leonardo da Vinci-Fiumicino Airport (FCO - Rome), Galileo Galilei Airpot (PSA - Pisa)
- Nearest local airports: Sant'Egidio Airport (PEG - Perugia), Florence Amerigo Vespucci Airport (FLR - Florence)
- Nearest train station: Chiusi-Chianciano Terme
- Transfers between Villa and train station can be arranged at no charge on first and last day of retreat. Single and group airport transfers are possible and pricing discussed upon request. Train transfer from all airports is quite easy, and we can help guide you on the directions.
Besides the basic packing and travel needs, here are a few things to think about bringing with you.
- Bathing suit (on-site pool, thermal spa)
- Comfortable shoes (city walking, country hiking)
- Yoga clothes
- Personal yoga props (mats and straps will be provided, but if you have a prop you prefer, feel free to bring it along)
- Sweat towels for practice
- Plug adaptors / converters