July 28-Aug 3, 2019
July 28-Aug 3, 2019
FORM+FOCUS [LUXURY] - Join us on our brand new retreat location in magical Edinburgh, Scotland. Spend the week in a historical castle with sweeping green grounds, dinner in a dungeon, falconry, visit to the highlands and a beautiful loch, plus plenty of time in the culture city center - complete with a high tea, gourmet meals, spa day, with daily yoga + travel journal creation.
FORM + FOCUS
This retreat will feature Julian Hyzler from EASEL&LENS to combine a look at creative focus with art projects in sketching and "ifonography" (smartphone photography) throughout the week. Yoga and meditation classes will be held daily to prepare our bodies and minds to find a creative way to focus on our excursions through the Scottish countryside. *NO PREVIOUS ART OR YOGA BACKGROUND REQUIRED. All levels are welcome, and participation is voluntary. Projects and classes will be offered as a completely exploratory, unintimidating and personal experience.
This magnificent yoga retreat will take place in the picturesque Scottish countryside, just a few miles outside of the cultural center of Edinburgh in Scotland's oldest inhabited castle! Step inside the ancient walls of Dalhousie Castle and you'll find yourself in a luxurious hotel with a fascinating past.
A fortress fit for a king or queen with blissful spa facilities, award-winning fine dining and 35 beautifully appointed bedrooms (some with four poster beds, naturally). Standing within its own 11-acre parkland estate on the banks of the River Esk, this 13th century castle is a truly enchanting place to visit whatever the season and won "Scotland's Castle Hotel of the Year".
Brimming with over 700 years of history, Dalhousie Castle is the kind of place that could have been plucked from the pages of a fairy-tale. But make no mistake, this ancient castle with its complex arrangement of turrets and towers is very much the real McCoy. Once the seat of the Ramsay Clan, the castle boasts an illustrious guest list that includes King Edward I, Sir Walter Scott, Oliver Cromwell and Queen Victoria. Today the castle’s long tradition of hospitality continues, and you can still be assured a royal welcome and the highest standards of food and service at this fine four-star hotel.
Each one-of-a-kind room is luxuriously decorated with rich Scottish fabrics and period furniture, worthy of a stay from a royal visitor. Despite the historic surroundings, our rooms have been designed with today’s discerning guest in mind and come complete with soft Egyptian cotton bed linen, fluffy towels and robes, slippers and Molton Brown toiletries. All rooms have an en-suite bathroom, flat screen digital TV, direct-dial telephone, iron and ironing board, hairdryer and tea and coffee making facilities.
Guests will not only enjoy the villa and encompassing estate, but also the richness of the Scottish cities in the nearby area, including Edinburgh and a visit to a loch in the highlands. Day trips will allow students to add arts, culture, adventure, and natural beauty to their retreat experience. Trips will include visits to small villages, large cities, and outdoor activities.
We'll enjoy a whisky tour and tasting to sample some of the area's most popular drink, plus a high tea in one of Edinburgh's most prestigious locales. A falconry show in the green countryside, a full day out to Loch Lomond, including a private boat ride to one of the lake's islands, as well as museum visits in the city and an indulgent spa experience are just some of the activities guests have to look forward to!
Healthful, vegetarian food is part of the retreat experience, including breakfasts and lunch or dinner daily - either onsite at the amazing restaurants, in the city at some of the top rated locales, or out on our day trips. We'll taste the regional specialties at a whisky tour + tasting, indulge in a proper high tea in the city, and enjoy meals from cozy gastropubs to elegant award-winning restaurants. You won't leave hungry and you'll be able to experience how the food is an integral part of this country.
Daily meditation and yoga classes will be offered in a way to relax, stimulate, and help guests grow in their own personal practice. Classes are open to all levels, beginner to practiced, and can range from gentle and restorative to more vigorous vinyasa flow and ashtanga styles.* Style and class levels will be determined and moulded to fit participating students' needs, and with a small intimate retreat class size, students will be able to get personalized attention and comfortability to deeply explore their practice. Depending on each retreat location, classes will be held in a dedicated indoor yoga space and some also offer outdoor options as well for us to use if the weather is agreeable.
Certified yoga instructor and EPM founder, Erin Lewis, will facilitate the classes, helping each student focus on improving their practice and gaining new insights into their bodies and movements. She's studied various types of yoga disciplines since 1998, concentrating on the Ashtanga discipline since 2008. She received her teacher certification in Florence, Italy and has continued her education with various specialty certifications throughout the years. She now combines powerful movements with more anatomical-based core vinyasa flow and restorative movement in her personal practice and teaching style.
- * Participation in classes and activities is optional throughout the retreat. All levels welcome!
DETAILS / PRICING
- 7 days / 6 nights (Jul 28 - Aug 2, 2019)
- Inclusive Retreat Price = $3,395 (shared room*), +$900 (single room)
- Deposit to hold space = $950
- Max # Guests = 7
* Guests traveling alone can choose the shared room and we match up based on guest profile. Rooms are spacious with separate beds and private bathrooms.
** Final balance due 45 days before retreat start date.
Read full cancellation policy in our Terms & Conditions.
- Villa accommodation (spacious bedrooms, each with private bathrooms, linens)
- Daily yoga and art classes
- Daily Breakfast at hotel
- Daily lunch or dinner
- Whisky tour + tasting
- Transportation to/from day trips
- Private boat ride on Loch Lomond with island visit
- Driving tour to castles + southern tip of highlands
- Use of estate premises
- Tour guide on various day trips
- High Tea in Edinburgh
- Walking tour of Edinburgh + Castle visit
- Museum entrances + tour
- Falconry show on grounds
- Spa day and treatment
- Tips & taxes
* airfare not included ** all meals are vegetarian. special dietary restrictions can be accommodated
- Walking tour in Edinburgh, visit to Edinburgh Castle
- Falconry show on grounds
- Whisky tour + tasting
- Countryside tour (driving tour to southern tip of highlands, castle visit, etc)
- Private boat trip on Loch Lomond + island visit
- Edinburgh museum visit + afternoon high tea
- Bonnyrigg in the area of Edinburgh
- Nearest major airports: Edinburgh Airport (EDI), Glasgow Airport (GLA)
- Taxis are easy and normally around £35 from EDI to the hotel, and the ride takes under 30 minutes. Guests can arrive whenever is convenient for them. Check-in is officially at 2pm (earlier depending on availability) and the retreat will start at 6pm for orientation and welcome reception.
Besides the basic packing and travel needs, here are a few things to think about bringing with you.
- Bathing suit (spa day)
- Comfortable shoes (city walking, country hiking)
- Yoga clothes
- Plug adaptors / converters
- Weather proof outerwear